Thursday, October 05, 2006

BlogPoll Roundtable 2.4

Thank to Iowa State blogger Cross Cyed for hosting this week. With no further ado:

1. We're about halfway through the season at this point. Have you gotten a gauge on your team's chances this year to make noise in conference play, or is the team still a total freaking mystery?

Given the loss to Texas Tech and with games remaining against texas, Oklahoma, Nebraska and Missouri it would take a significant turnaround for A&M to contend for a Big XII South title this season. That said, the Aggies are perfectly positioned to play the spoiler, with all of those teams except the Longhorns coming to Kyle Field.

2. Many of the bigger conferences such as the Big 12 and the Big 10 use a rotating schedule to determine conference games each year. What are your feelings on the current system used in your conference? Does a rotating schedule work? Has your team always caught a break?

The sheer size of the Big XII takes any scheme that involves playing the other 11 teams out of the equation. This season the Aggies certainly haven't caught a break playing three of the top four teams in the North Division (they play Missouri, Nebraska and @Kansas while missing a miserable Colorado team, a rebuilding K-State and an enigmatic Iowa State). I'm not upset though, as the creampuffs that A&M opened against more than make up for a tough conference slate.

I actually like the rotating system as they tend to let some mini-rivalries stew a bit. A good example would be Michigan-Penn State. The years off seem to make those games better, more tense. Plus, Ames, Iowa seems awfully far to have to go every two years. Of course, they probably feel the same way about Austin, College Station and Waco.

3. In an effort to get to know more about college football, both nationally and regionally, what have you done to expand your college football horizons? Have you caught yourself watching games from other conferences, or taking an interest in games that show up on ESPNU or Fox Sports?

Being a Michigan alum in Aggieland, I ordered ESPN Gameplan to keep up with the Wolverines and it has been amazing. There is just something special about sitting in your boxer shorts at 11 AM watching Wake Forest battle Duke or Vanderbilt valiantly struggle against Arkansas.

I also find myself in something of a pickle regarding how I feel about the weeknight games on ESPN. On one hand, I'm a purist who thinks that college football is just that much more special when its played on a Saturday afternoon. On the hand, I love college football and having it on Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday means that I can see so much more of it. Overall I suppose that I'm in favor of it, especially when it gives me the opportunity to watch NC State against FSU rather than do homework or laundry or something productive.

4. What would you change about the current exposure your team gets, either on the radio, television, print, or on the internet?

I'd personally like to see some more Aggie games picked up on the television. This season ESPN picked up the Army game which was a disaster and the Texas Tech game which of course the Aggies lost. I think that the A&M rushing offense would get significantly more respect if anyone had watched as teams like ULaLa and La Tech were absolutely bowled over.

5. During last Saturday's game against I-AA Northern Iowa, Iowa State trailed 21-7 at the half. The Cyclone Marching Band played a variety of songs from animated shows, including selections from South Park titled "Blame Canada" and "What Would Brian Boitano Do?" Needless to say, the Cyclones outscored the Panthers 21-6 in the second half. If you had to pick one song for your favorite team to rally to, what would it be? Because we all know what they did for the 2005 White Sox, Journey and "Don't Stop Believing" are not to be considered.

The Fightin' Texas Aggie Band doesn't play such drivel! Why would they, that would make their halftime shows entertaining after all. I'm going to get in trouble for saying this, and I love the military precision and all, but I miss the Michigan Marching Band busting out Bon Jovi and having thousands of students sing along. In terms of a rallying song to get pumped up to, in high school I always preferred "Bawitdaba" by Kid Rock. Not only did it get me ready to take the gridiron, I used it to get ready to kick some Quiz Bowl butt too. And I wish that I was making that up.

PS: While spell checking this beast, I was also watching the NCST-FSU halftime show. Lou Holtz just reference former Georgia quarterbacks David Greene and JD Stokely. You just can't make this stuff up.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home