Sunday, August 13, 2006

Reaction to Shorter Games

I'm sure that all of you have heard by now about the NCAA's decision to shorten the length of football games next season by tweaking the way that the clock works. This morning Todd Schulz wrote a unique article in the Lansing State Journal arguing against the changes. Why is this unique? This is the first media member I've come across opposing the rule change. The other day they took up the issue on Around the Horn and PTI and were something like 6-0 in favor of making the games shorter.

Now, I have no problem with the NCAA's desire to shorten games, but why take away from the one hour out of three that the game is actually being played? Eliminating 5 or so commercial breaks a game would have the same effect and not compromise the product on the field. In the end, the NCAA appears to be attempting to move towards the NFL style of football, something that I am fearful of. I prefer college football for a reason (and its not just that the Lions have been at best mediocre since well before I was born). Here's hoping that the NCAA come to their senses soon.

1 Comments:

At 11:50 PM, Blogger AgRyan04 said...

I've got to agree with him.

The 7 or 8 (or in the case of this season, 10) games I get to attend are automatically in my top 20 days of the year. I've waited months upon months for the season to start up and then spend each waking hour of each day during the season being nervous/excited/jubilant about our next game. Why on earth would I want to shorten the amount of time I'm in my element?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home