Thursday, August 24, 2006

Creeping Closer

Its been a fairly long week here in Aggieland, eagerly awaiting the beginning of the football season and dreading the start of classes on Monday. Of course it is hot, but we are finally close enough to September 2nd for The Weather Channel to have a preliminary forecast up. Not too bad heat wise (high of 93F) but that 60% chance of precipitation has me just a bit worried.

I went to grad school orientation last Friday and was probably the only person on the campus tour that was happy Kyle Field was closed for the day. I have a secret you see. My first memory of Michigan Stadium was sitting in the front row of the student section as a senior in high school while we pounded living bejeepers out of some nameless MAC foe (it was actually BGSU). I was a senior in high school at the time, so when I toured the stadium later that year on a campus visit, getting to walk on its hallowed field, it meant something.

Empty stadiums have always struck me as kind of sad, and so I always want my first experience in one to be on a gameday with all the pageantry that entails. The quiet moments where you hear the echoes and a appreciate the history should come later. As a result of all this, I've been actively avoiding Kyle Field, worried that I'll always remember a first impression of an empty shell devoid of meaning. This is why I was happy that the ongoing scoreboard construction preventing our tour from getting a close up look at the field. I hope that a week from Saturday this self-imposed separation will seem worthwhile as I am one of about 85,000 Aggies cheering for our footballers to beat the hell outta The Citadel.

Gig 'Em.

UPDATE:
The Weather Channel is now saying no chance of precipitation and 94 degrees. Its looking better and better every day.

2 Comments:

At 6:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'll be interested to read your comparison (if you choose to do one) between gameday at Michigan Stadium and gameday at Kyle Field. As someone who graduated from a Big Ten school with little football atmosphere (Northwestern) and then came to Aggieland for grad school, it was quite an upgrade for me.

 
At 6:07 PM, Blogger Tom said...

This is an interesting idea. I've been trying to avoid running comparisons, because I've been doing this with my friends from my academic department (oh, but we do it this way at Michigan) and I think that they are getting a little bit tired of it. Well, actually I stopped doing that after about the third day, but you know what I mean.

I started posted on TexAgs and there seemed to be genuine interest there as well to a comparison post. In response, sometime next week I'll put up a post comparing Kyle against Citadel to Michigan against CMU or perhaps Miami (OH). Later this season I'll compare the TT game to a MSU game or an OSU game.

Thanks for the post idea!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home