Saturday, August 13, 2005

Allow Me to Introduce Myself

In my rush to start my seven part Michigan Football Preview, I completely forgot that the polite thing to do would have been to introduce myself. My name is Tom and I am a recent graduate of the University of Michigan. Because I majored in Aerospace Engineering and neglected to bother myself with an internship, I am now officially an Unemployed Aerospace Engineer. In the near future I hope to find a job somewhere that will require me to move out of state and pay way to much for the College Gameday and NHL Center-Ice packages on DirecTV. This will allow me to continue to follow the Michigan Football team as well as the Detroit Red Wings. As for the Michigan Hockey team, I will have to content myself with cruising the USCHO boards and listening to the internet radio broadcasts of the games. In my spare time I also obsessively follow the Detroit Tigers and Lions. As for the Pistons and Wolverine basketball clubs, I am a committed fairweather fan who will enjoy watching them compete, just as long as they are winning and some more interesting sporting event is not being televised (like football, hockey, baseball, curling or swimming).

I like to think that occasionally I know what I'm talking about when it comes to baseball and football. Way back in high school I held the distinction of being the worst player on the worst team in the Greater-Lansing area. I feel that this more than qualifies me for talking-head/pundit status. I was slightly better in baseball, where as a statistician with a uniform, I managed to post a lifetime .050 batting average. In my defense I did post 6 walks in 26 career plate appearances at the JV level. As for hockey, I have no formal background in the sport but love to observe and comment on it nonetheless. As for curling, my New Year's Resolution is to figure out why they yell so much, then perhaps I will bother learning the rules.

That is just a little about me so that if anyone is paging through the archives, they can come to this point and say, aha!, the beginning! Keep your stick on the ice.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home